I bought a used car, and the radiator cap sealing surface inside the radiator opening was chipped making it impossible for the radiator cap to seal properly making it impossible for the system to pressurize causing coolant to come out. I only paid $450 so I didn't want to fork out the dough for a new one $70 - $120 depending upon where I buy it..
So I built this tool to resurface the seal surface inside the radiator. And it worked!
Unfortnuatly, this project pretty much requires a lathe and a set of Calipers. If you are good, I am sure you could build this out of wood without the lathe, but the lathe makes it really easy and precise. You could make this out of pretty much any hard material. I used a piece of Aluminum I bought from our local metal recycling place for $0.82
The dimensions will vary from car to car. The smallest part needs to just fit inside the inner hole in the radiator inlet. The step needs to be flat, and the middle diameter needs to fit just inside the top portion of the radiator inlet. The large outside diameter is just to hold and turn with.
Once you've turned the tool, you glue sandpaper to the surface of the step. 200 Grit is probably good, although you may need finer grit to get a better seal. No worries, you can just glue another piece over the piece you already glued on.



0 comments:
Post a Comment