Pages

Friday, March 30, 2012

Radiator Quality - 318ti.org forum

» Site Navigation
» Recent Threads
FS: MM-2 Mille Miglia...

Yesterday 11:23 PM

Last post by eurohb

Today 03:56 AM

1 Replies, 40 Views

new setup for my ti this...

Yesterday 05:36 PM

Last post by DasStormTrooper

Today 03:52 AM

6 Replies, 84 Views

Radiator Quality

Yesterday 03:25 PM

Last post by spidertri

Today 01:59 AM

11 Replies, 101 Views

Polished Style 5, Style...

03-02-2012 12:27 AM

Last post by cooljess76

Today 01:37 AM

35 Replies, 1,031 Views

new to the 318ti scene

03-26-2012 05:56 PM

Last post by Eur0trashed

Today 01:28 AM

16 Replies, 201 Views

1998 318ti in Canada

Today 01:18 AM

Last post by eldiablo666

Today 01:18 AM

0 Replies, 19 Views

ID my ti please

Yesterday 01:28 AM

Last post by 1996 328ti

Today 01:15 AM

14 Replies, 137 Views

WTB drivers door panel

Today 01:07 AM

Last post by eldiablo666

Today 01:07 AM

0 Replies, 17 Views

You know you a drive a...

11-12-2008 09:26 PM

Last post by Bobtail_Bimmer

Today 01:01 AM

179 Replies, 16,904 Views

Wiring 2 windows to 1...

03-28-2012 08:24 PM

Last post by TroyAndEddie

Today 12:31 AM

18 Replies, 210 Views

Reply Share/Bookmark
Old Yesterday, 03:25 PM   #1

Senior Member

 
spidertri's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2007

Location: Hagerstown, MD

Posts: 3,121

DefaultRadiator Quality


Background: I changed every hose, fitting, and part associated with the cooling system two years ago. (except for the head gasket and heater core) Probably 20,000 miles put on the car since then.

Recently my radiator has been slowly leaking from the bottom of the expansion tank. There is an o-ring there which is replaceable but I have read a few threads that say it is a huge PITA to change and that it may not even stop the leak.

My current radiator is one from AC Radiators on Ebay, I guess it is supposed to be a Behr. Anyway, I see there is a Nissens, Behr, Valeo, and Genuine BMW available from different sellers.

I just want to get a radiator that won't leak, I've only had the current one installed for a couple of years. I've even considered moving to an all aluminum mishimoto 6cyl radiator but apparently quality isn't consistent with those either.

So does anyone have good experience with a certain brand of radiator?

Or should I just pull mine apart and put in the new O-ring with some extra RTV to help seal it?

__________________
~Dave~

Morea Grun Slicktop

Parts | springs!

Searching saves brain cells.

spidertri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:09 PM   #2

Senior Member

 
BimmerBum's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2007

Location: Fl

Posts: 698

Default


I sell Behr radiators and I like them because they fit perfect and I have never had anyone have an issue. That said it sounds like your radiator might not be the issue. I would start with the seal at the base of the expansion tank before replacing the radiator.

The radiator's BMW sells are Behr radiators. Aside from an aftermarket Fluidyne, they are the only radiators I would use (and have used) in my own cars.

BimmerBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:24 PM   #3

Senior Member

 
spidertri's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2007

Location: Hagerstown, MD

Posts: 3,121

Default


Out of the few threads I have found about the seal on the expansion tank (there aren't many), in most cases it starts leaking again after being replaced. The people who have done it also state that the expansion tank is pressed into the base and is very difficult to remove and install.

I would rather just buy a new radiator and be done with it than mess around with a seal that may or may not solve the problem.

__________________
~Dave~

Morea Grun Slicktop

Parts | springs!

Searching saves brain cells.

spidertri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:26 PM   #4

Senior Member

 
BimmerBum's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2007

Location: Fl

Posts: 698

Default


Quote:

Originally Posted by spidertri View Post
Out of the few threads I have found about the seal on the expansion tank (there aren't many), in most cases it starts leaking again after being replaced. The people who have done it also state that the expansion tank is pressed into the base and is very difficult to remove and install.

I would rather just buy a new radiator and be done with it than mess around with a seal that may or may not solve the problem.

Then I would replace it with a Behr radiator... I just replaced the radiator in 318tiClubSport.com with an OEM Behr unit.
BimmerBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:28 PM   #5

Senior Member

 
slow_ti's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2010

Location: Potomac Falls VA DMV

Posts: 1,591

Default


My mishimoto has been great. The best thing about them is, a no questions asked insurance policy. You can rear end someone, mess up your radiator, and get another one from them for free. Pair it with a aluminum fan shroud and expansion tank and spal fan And you don't have to worry about leaks. Can't beat the price either...

__________________
Im guessing im the youngest member on here with a S52 power'ed Ti at 16 years old!


Last edited by slow_ti; Yesterday at 04:30 PM.
slow_ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:51 PM   #6

Senior Member

 
BimmerBum's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2007

Location: Fl

Posts: 698

Default


Quote:

Originally Posted by slow_ti View Post

My mishimoto has been great. The best thing about them is, a no questions asked insurance policy. You can rear end someone, mess up your radiator, and get another one from them for free. Pair it with a aluminum fan shroud and expansion tank and spal fan And you don't have to worry about leaks. Can't beat the price either...

The mishimoto is not a direct replacement for the 4 cylinder ti. While the warranty is nice the quality is not on par with the fluidyne... as reflected in the price difference.
BimmerBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:58 PM   #7

Senior Member

 
spidertri's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2007

Location: Hagerstown, MD

Posts: 3,121

Default


Yeah, mishimotos have mixed reviews, some people have no issues others have spotty welds and leaks. Fluidyne are nice for sure, I would just adapt a 6cyl radiator for use in the 4cyl.

__________________
~Dave~

Morea Grun Slicktop

Parts | springs!

Searching saves brain cells.

spidertri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:01 PM   #8

Senior Member

 
slow_ti's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2010

Location: Potomac Falls VA DMV

Posts: 1,591

Default


Yea, Dave said he wanted a 6cy radiator. So that's why I suggested it. I'm going to eventually upgrade to a big Fluidyne but mishimoto is great right now. No Leaks so I'm happy

__________________
Im guessing im the youngest member on here with a S52 power'ed Ti at 16 years old!

slow_ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:16 PM   #9

Senior Member

 
BimmerBum's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2007

Location: Fl

Posts: 698

Default


I missed the part about switching to a 6 cylinder radiator... I would still go Behr or Fluidyne. I should be set up with Fluidyne in the next few months.

That said, I'm not sure 4 cylinder parts that failed prematurely justify the work to swap to 6 cylinder parts. Occasionally parts do fail earlier than they should but you have about the same odds of the same thing happening with 6 cylinder bits. If the goal here is reliability it seems like replacing what's leaking with quality OEM stuff is the way to go.

BimmerBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:09 PM   #10

Senior Member

 
spidertri's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2007

Location: Hagerstown, MD

Posts: 3,121

Default


The only reason I was looking into an aluminum 6cyl radiator is because the only aluminum 4cyl radiator available is from Zionsville and it costs $1000.

I'm just hesitant to get another Behr when I have had this issue and a person wrote a review on pelican stating the exact same thing happened with their brand new Behr.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...20Transmission

__________________
~Dave~

Morea Grun Slicktop

Parts | springs!

Searching saves brain cells.

spidertri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:15 PM   #11

Senior Member

 
BimmerBum's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2007

Location: Fl

Posts: 698

Default


Quote:

Originally Posted by spidertri View Post
The only reason I was looking into an aluminum 6cyl radiator is because the only aluminum 4cyl radiator available is from Zionsville and it costs $1000.

I'm just hesitant to get another Behr when I have had this issue and a person wrote a review on pelican stating the exact same thing happened with their brand new Behr.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...20Transmission


Interesting... I'm curious to see if I will have any issues. I can also get a Nissins brand radiator which I have used before without issue when I cannot get Behr's.
BimmerBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:59 AM   #12

Senior Member

 
spidertri's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2007

Location: Hagerstown, MD

Posts: 3,121

Default


Well, I think I'm going to try out a Nissens radiator. I was reading a lot of threads today and there were several people who claimed to have actually seen a Behr and Nissens side by side and said the Nissens looked stronger and "beefier" than the equivalent Behr. Most of these threads were discussing E36 6cyl radiators but I'm hoping the same is true for the M4x version as well. I'll take pictures when I get them side by side.

__________________
~Dave~

Morea Grun Slicktop

Parts | springs!

Searching saves brain cells.

spidertri is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

You may not post new threads

You may not post replies

You may not post attachments

You may not edit your posts


HTML code is Off



0 comments:

Post a Comment